Introduction to OptoScan leak detectionManufacturers of easy-open can ends and two-piece cans experience from time to time difficulties with leaks.
Most of these leaks are located to the rivet positioned or those areas of the can where the biggest material displacement takes place.
The obvious reason is the extreme stress to which the metal is exposed during the forming.
The score line is another sensitive area where the metal thickness is reduced lending it susceptible to leaking.
Immediately after change of tooling the flaw rate can be extremely high - 1 in 10.000 or even more, indicating that running small batches is more susceptible to producing failures, because adjustment and fine-tuning of the process requires the process to be ongoing.
Pursuing the causes of leakers shows a number of different contributors:
- Impurities stemming from the rolling process may be hidden in the stock material.
- Other local in-homogeneities such as scratches, indentations may be present on the stock.
- Variations in the forming properties of the stock material.
- Lacquer and in particular multicolour decorations contain impurities or drops, often from the drying oven.
- State of wear, lubrication and adjustment of tooling.
- Experience shows that there are large variations in the flaw rate, depending on how well the above mentioned influences can be controlled.
Optoscan BrochuresOptoScan 5000
In ProductionThe OptoScan leak detection products have been running in production for several years in France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Austria, Philippines, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, Kentucky USA, Puerto Rico, Brasilia, United Arab Emirates, Sweden and Denmark.
The experience is that the products are very reliable, robust, and extremely easy to maintain and operate.